Here’s a round-up of this past week’s Django Unchained news. The cast has been busy giving interviews and promoting the film ever since the Django Unchained Comic-Con Panel.
- Walton Goggins finally spoke about Django Unchained in an interview with Collider. Here he talks about how he struggled with playing a racist villain in the film:
COLLIDER: As a performer, is it difficult to get into the skin of a character like this?
GOGGINS: Yeah, absolutely! I bonded and hung out with some of the black actors, who I didn’t know but we had a lot of friends in common, when we got down to New Orleans. And then comes your first day at work, and you’ve got to say and do these things. While liberal Walton didn’t have anything to apologize for, I began every take with an apology because these were my friends. Outside of a race of people and what that means to everybody, to these specific individuals that were my buddies, I said, “Man, I’m so sorry!” You just have to go there. And then, I would end it with an apology and we’d go out drinking, later on that night. It’s not easy. It’s awful to say those things. But, you’re in the service of something much greater than yourself and you’re telling a piece of history that is the biggest blight on our history, as a country. It needs to be retold, and I’m a part of that. I’m a color, and he painted with all these incredible colors. I think I’m a color he had a good time with. It changed my life.
- Speaking of Walton Goggins, I found that gorgeous portrait of the Django Unchained cast in this amazing gallery of Walton Goggins pictures. They’ve got lots of Django Unchained Comic-Con Panel pics, so check it out.
- Jamie Foxx claims that Samuel L. Jackson’s performance in this film is so good that it intimidated the rest of the cast. “People wouldn’t go to sleep at night because they knew they had to act against Samuel Jackson, the next morning. He was kicking everybody’s ass, in the scene.” Source (link contains plot spoiler).
- Foxx also revealed to MTV that he didn’t find out about the Django Unchained project until he read the online rumors about Will Smith being attached to the film. He claims that he “quickly switched management” after that.
- Kerry Washington had an interview with Collider about Django Unchained. The most notable thing in it is the part where she reveals that Quentin Tarantino is a Grey’s Anatomy fan (I would have never guessed!). By the way, Washington recently did a photo shoot with Italian Vogue.