The Director’s Guild of America was treated this weekend to an early screening of Django Unchained, and the audience reaction was overwhelmingly positive. ScreenCrush has a good roundup of tweets from the event, but here are a few highlights:
- Django unchained is super violent spaghetti western w/ anachronistic songs. waltz & jackson steal it. All talk & action. 1st screening. — Anne Thompson (@akstanwyck)
- Just watched what was basically a three-hour homage to BLAZING SADDLES — Lou Lumenick (@LouLumenick)
- #Django was a great film: very bloody but also very funny. The kind of film that makes you laugh about issues you don’t usually laugh at! — Julie Seureau (@IndieJuls)
- Really happy to have been to the advanced screening of #Django. Christoph Waltz is such an extraordinary actor. He really stole the thunder! — Julie Seureau (@IndieJuls)
- From start to finish Django Unchained is a fantastic crowd pleaser. Smartly humorous, great action & dialogue – Definite awards contender! — Jeff Goldsmith (@yogoldsmith)
I’m a bit surprised that there is as much humor in this film as the critics claim given the somber tone of the film’s last trailer.
Also, the official Django Unchained runtime clocked in at 2 hour, 45 minutes, and 11 seconds. Better hold off on that large soda at the theater!
P.S. Today is your last chance to get tickets in advance to tomorrow’s nationwide screening of Reservoir Dogs. Pulp Fiction will be shown Thursday, December 6th. These are one-night-only events so get your tickets before they’re sold out!